Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Arise and Shine Forth!

 Arise and Shine Forth! Learn it, Love it, Live it! this was our theme this year for girls camp.

I had the pleasure to attend once again. I have been 5 times in this ward, 2 times in the ward before, and if you include my 6 years as a young woman 13 years!!! WOW!

I will say as camp grew closer this year I was feeling more stressed out than usual. Tuesday as I was packing up my stuff and trying to make sure I had everything I needed for the girls I was VERY STRESSED! I did not think there was any way I was going to get it all together.

With little sleep I got up at 5 on Wednesday morning to finish gathering things and get over to the church to start the fun!

 ( leaders, Maddie Janes, Monica Jensen, Angie Peterson, Sarah Carr, Laura Gloschat, and myself)

We gathered all of our girls, got their journals made, and changed into our shirts.

We loaded up and off to Camp Shadow Pines we went.

I always stop at the Giant station in Payson on the way up and this time as we pulled in I noticed a truck that I could promise was my Dad's... What are the chances? Yup, it was my Dad on his way to scout camp.
  We made it safely to our destination and had a few moments to unpack then headed off to the opening ceremonies They welcomes all the first years and classes began.

That night we competed in the value olympics. Our ward did very well and we had fun!
  They all learned how to make headbands out of t shirt material. They turned out very cute.
 Ashlynn's headband.

 they also made necklaces.

 I had the joy of being at camp with Maquel Crist. One of Rigdon's Fabulous preschool teachers.
She was the caper Queen(jobs) and I have to say we had all the best jobs! Although I do think that was just coincidence. Or maybe I just think all jobs are easy.
 Wednesday night there was little sleep again... Thursday we went on our hike and had classes in the afternoon. So many people prepared great lessons and activities for the girls.

I thought for sure I would sleep well that night. I felt like I was ready to pass out all day. But by evening I had taken some exedrin for my head and a unisom to sleep... no sleep. Sarah sent me a text after midnight to ask if I was asleep, and if I wasn't to please knock her over the head with a frying pan. We ended up in the hall making a card for our bishop at 2 am laughing our heads off out of delirium.

5am comes early when you stay up so late.
 My head was still pounding, actually worse... when Maddie asked me if I wanted to have a blessing. Well... I had taken all the medicine I could and waited more than an hour, so it seemed it was needed if I was going to be of any use to anyone that day.

Much to my surprise President Decker (our stake president) was the one to come and give me a blessing.

The priesthood is a wonderful thing and within a half hour my head was better. Tender mercies for sure.

We had a few bumps in the road, it's to be expected with so many girls in one place.

But we also had a very intense experience during ward time as we each had a partner and were going to stand facing each other looking into our partners eyes for one minute. Such a  long time for not talking!There was instrumental music playing as we participated in the activity, and every minute we would switch partners.
I know they were all touched with the realization that we all are the same, we all have fears and insecurities, we all want to be loved, we are all daughters of our Heavenly Father and we all want to return to live in his presence.

There was not a dry eye by the end. We all went to dinner with puffy eyes!

Andrew was able to come up with the Bishop for Friday night.

I am so glad he did, We had our testimony meeting(ward level) and of all the years I have been to camp it was the best one I have ever been a part of. There was not a single love you-mony, or thank you-mony. It was all pure testimony, the spirit was so strong. All of my beautiful girls got up and bore testimony of the truthfulness of the gospel, of the Savior, and the power of prayer. It was amazing. I will never forget how I felt.

I was able to get some rest that night, thank goodness since I had to drive them home.

I love the young women! I love that I have been able to serve them and feel of their testimonies.
 Camp is certainly a labor of love. I think of it like having a baby, you remember all the good things and the feelings you have, and forget all the work that goes into it. Then when they ask you to go again you say yes, only when it gets closer do you remember how much work it is. But it is worth every minute.

2 comments:

Emilee said...

If I ever go to girls camp I hope I look as good as you! I know the girls love having you. You are AMAZING!

Cristal said...

I loved going to girls camp and I wish I could go every year! Im so jealous that you have been 13 times!!! And seriously you look fantastic camping, sleep deprived, and with a headache!!