Friday, September 9, 2011

shark encounter.

Andrew and I braved a shark tank on Friday in Hawaii. I have to say I was more nervous about the scuba than the sharks. Strange, I know.

They used to throw stuff in to draw the sharks but have since stopped. THey said that the sharks are naturally drawn to the boat motors. they just turn on the motor and the sharks come because most boats are fishing and it's an easy meal for them.

Had I had this knowledge before we did the dolphin encounter I would have been nervous about jumping into the ocean to check out the dolphins or snorkel. Obviously that boat had a motor and we were just dropped off...

It was a little eerie to be the one in the cage while the sharks swam around and checked us out. There were three 6 foot long sand sharks circling.
I have been trying to load the video onto here but blogger doesn't seem to be cooperating. I tried facebook and it loaded right up. I'll keep working on it. It's so much more cool than just the still pictures.

By the way there is a big open window along one side of the cage that is plenty big enough for a shark to swim right in. Is that really safe?

No comments: