Friday, September 2, 2011

That never happened before...

The Hawaii vacation.

Andrew and I were blessed enough to take a trip to hawaii, and even better leave the children in the capable hands of Emilee and my Mom. So why is there a picture of a broken car?

Well we decided to upgrade the rental car to the convertable camero. A pretty sweet ride. We got in this very pretty silver one and took a few minutes to figure out how to put the top down... Next was reverse, We moved about an inch and it sounded like there was something like a soda bottle under the front. We stopped and looked at each other wondering what it could possibly be? Andrew decided to inch back a little more. There was a worker standing a little ways away as we stopped, he was frantically waving his hands at us.

Andrew hopped out and BAM! What a way to start the vacation! Whoever had parked the car previously had parked a little too far up on the curb. Thus when we tried to back out off came the front bumper.

We had to fill out an accident report. Andrew said he would, but it was not his fault it was parked where it was and we would not be paying to fix it.

Then we were off in the red one I am standing next to in the back of the picture. Police magnet for sure. Andrew was a very careful driver. We did arrive at the speed limit of 35mph in the blink of an eye.
We stayed at the Turtle Bay resort. After checking in we went down to the pool and ordered hamburgers. Pretty yummy.
Wednesday brought the scuba dive at Sharks Cove. I was nervous about it to say the least.

Andrew signing his life away. We got all of our gear on after our lesson on flooding and clearing our masks and the dreaded taking the regulator out under the water and putting it back in. Both of these things terrify me! Why would I willingly flood my mask?! Take my air out!!! Are you kidding me?!

I know, I know these are nessessary skills. I listened and understood the concept. I just didn't know if I could bring myself to do it.

So we loaded up the 50 pounds of gear onto out backs and headed down the steep trail to the beach. It was tricky sitting on the slippery rocks trying to get my flippers on. We managed, and a bit out of breath we swam to the middle of the cove.

As it got closer to the time to demonstrate the skills I was completely panicking. I felt like I couldn't get enough air, the bubbles were too close to my mask... I told Andrew I would just wait on the beach. I would be perfectly happy. I just couldn't voluntarily take my air out of my mouth.

Our very nice instructor Chase tried to calm me down and said we would go down a little ways and if I still didn't want to go I didn't have to. Fine. But still panicking. He held onto my shoulders and I held his and we sank down the 10 feet to the bottom.

Once there he had Andrew do the technics and then we started to swim(with my arm linked with his) Ah the relief! He didn't make me take out my source of life!

We dove for about 35 minutes and saw many beautiful fish and coral canyons. Then went back up the beach and got another tank and down we went again.
I made it! Of course Andrew was as cool as a cucumber the whole time. I even swam through the canyon and a little overhanging of coral. I am a little scared of small places. It was fun and amazing. My most terrifying experience is also one of my favorites.

3 comments:

Rachael Papes said...

Looks very cool I bet dusty would really like diving. Where are the rest if the pictures?

Cristal said...

Sounds awesome. I'm glad that you were able to conquer your fear. :)

snyder family said...

I don't know if you and Andy should be renting cars when you go on a trip. Didn't he lose the keys last time?