Monday, December 12, 2011

Giving it another go

A while ago my good friend told me if I joined the gym with her she would go with me, even though I can only fit it in the evening.

I gave it some thought(a few months) and gave in and went to join.

They gave me the whole sign up blah blah blah.. and tried to charge me $55.00 a month, at which point I stood up crossed my arm and said that was totally not worth it! We came to an agreement of $30.00 a month and I certainly made sure I could quit at any time. I felt like I was buying a used car.

Then Rigdon's preschool teachers told me they go walking in the mornings and I could join them if I wanted. Ok I'm feeling a little motivated, why not? Well walking with them turns out to be jogging for me to keep up with the 13 minute miles they are walking! I have no idea how their legs are doing it. But I have gone and they have put up with me. I haven't even passed out yet! Although my body is in a little bit of shock. They do 4 miles. the last two times I stopped at 31/2. From nothing to 4 miles is a lot to take in!

Sarah has been going to the gym with me a few nights a week and it really makes a difference having friends to work out with. I personally feel tortured most of the time while doing it alone. After about 5 minutes I end up looking at the clock and wondering how only 5 minutes has passed and how can I possibly distract myself for another 20 minutes!? Then the thoughts start about how this is what they should do to prisoners to get them to reveal secrets, I know I would tell anything to make it stop! So far in the past two weeks my friends have made the hour at a time work outs feel like they have flown by.

I did find myself wanting to duck my head in shame seeing people from my ward leaving as we were entering. I don't want to be a gym person. And for some reason I don't want people thinking I am. I don't feel that guilt others talk of when they don't work out. It doesn't seem to make me smaller so who cares if I miss a few years...

But as for now I am in again. We don't have to talk about it, it makes me uncomfortable. But if I see you I will try to be polite and say hi.

2 comments:

Cristal said...

i hate going to the gym by myself. I would much rather go with someone. I am jealous that you have a buddy. I've had a gym membership for a year and I rarely go. It doesn't help that I only like to do the classes though and hate working out on the machines... especially in a college town were all the young guys go to work out/check out the girls.

Alicia W said...

If you're going to LA fitness, I may just call you. It's so much more fun to have a friend.